Thursday, May 3, 2012

May 3, 2012 DeKalb, IL convection

It was a bit muggy here today in DeKalb.  We were under a slight risk for severe weather though it seemed marginal to me at best.  We certainly had enough instability to kick off storms with temperatures in the 80s and dew points in the upper 60s to lower 70s.  We just lacked the vertical wind shear to help keep these storms organized.  Either way, once these cells overcame the convective inhibition they really started to 'popcorn'.  So, I decided to head west of town after the NIU AMS banquet and grab a few shots of the cumulus towers.  When I arrived to my usual spot,  I was greeted by a brightly shining moon that I could capture in the same frame as the cumulus towers!  It was amazing.  These kinds of evenings really allow me to recharge my batteries, let alone help me make the final thesis push.  There is just something about being out in a field where I can't hear anything but the wind and smell anything but the spring air.  Nature is pretty damn cool.  Well, below are some of the photos I grabbed before the sun went down for the night.  Enjoy.







fluorescent white balance
fluorescent white balance


fluorescent white balance


No comments:

Post a Comment