Thursday, September 10, 2015

September 10, 2015 DeKalb, IL Gravity Wave/Undulatus Asperatus

This morning was interesting here in DeKalb.  Soon after I woke up this morning I realized I had to rush out the door to make it to Davis Hall in order to see the incoming gravity wave set off from storms to the north of town.  Following my record setting pace into Davis Hall, I ran up the steps to the roof and grabbed a few panorama shots as the undular bores made their way past DeKalb.  After a 20 minutes or so I decided to head back into my office since I had work to do.  About 2 hours later I received a text from Walker telling me to get back up to the roof (with a "but don't jump" quip through in for good measure) and take some more panoramas of the outflow from the next round of storms.  So, I ran back upstairs and snagged some nice undulatus asperatus bubbling by.  Overall, it was great to see some great sky "stuff" for once around here. (I will add radar animations later).

I highly recommend that everyone check out this timelapse (watch it until the end!) from the NIU Meteorology Program skycams.  This is the exact reason Walker decided to put up these webcams. When you speed things up, average, somewhat interesting things in the sky turn into amazing and dramatic scenes,  The atmosphere is a fluid, people!  Don't believe me?  Check this out.








No comments:

Post a Comment