Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lightning show 8/2/2011 Dekalb, IL

Tonight was a great night. I saw that some storms were popping up to the west of town and looked to be headed for DeKalb. I figured I would take a ride to the parking garage and try to grab some lightning shots just past dusk. I knew that the storms would intensify and that meant that the lightning flash rates would increase bettering my chances to get a shot. At first things were slow and I took some tower shots with the sun shining on them.
Tower over DeKalb, IL.
After dark fell I got some okay cloud-to-ground shots but they were never quite in frame and were somewhat dull. I am thinking it was from city light pollution causing some washout. This is just my amateur photography skills poking its head out. After the storm passed I decided to drive out to the west part of town and try to get some shots from the back side of the line. Man.... what a lightning show. It was completely lit up. It had to be in the top three lightning shows I have ever seen. I was a bit scared being out in the field so I didn't spend much time out there.


Shot just west of DeKalb, IL.

Shortly after this shot was taken I realized if I can clearly see what setting my camera is in due to the constant lightning flashes I should probably get back into my car and stop being the tallest object in the field. 


No comments:

Post a Comment