Sunday, June 23, 2013

June 23, 2013 DeKalb, IL Windfarm Convection

I glanced at the radar around 4PM and noticed a thin line of storms approaching DeKalb.  They didn't seem to be surging; thus, I was skeptical about the shelf cloud development out ahead.  Either way, I decided to jog out to the windfarm just south of town and take a chance. Alas, when I made it out to one of my favorite spots the thought that there wasn't going to be much of a shelf became a reality (and the flies were biting my ankles!!!).  However, what did result was some of my favorite shots of the year thus far.  The soybeans were in the ground and were represented by a vibrant green.  The haze let up and the sun shined just right on turbines.  The dark backdrop of convection was just beautiful too.  Sometimes (most of the time) you don't need a big honkin' severe storm to realize the beauty in the sky.  Overall, lots of lightning and lots of rain.  Enjoy!












Backside of the outflow looked better than the front

No comments:

Post a Comment