Tuesday, June 25, 2013

June 24, 2013 DeKalb, IL Derecho

This day was one of those days that had me licking my chops once I glanced at the radar.  Off to our west there was a bowing MCS moving approximately 70 mph and producing "hook appendages" (see radar) along the way.  I left Davis Hall early enough to have the option of heading to the parking deck on campus or possibly just west of town.  I flip-flopped on what the right call was and ultimately decided that heading west was the best option.  However, soon after I made it a few miles west of town I realized that this storm was hauling major ass (and my mobile radar stopped receiving updates).  Yet, it never produced a nice shelf cloud like I hoped for.  Within about 10 minutes the storm went from being off in the distance to on top of me.... This is the reason I don't like to mess around with MCS very much.  I had to race back east to get safely to shelter.  I didn't make it very far before rain curtains began surging in front of me moving sidways.  It was a gusty son of a gun and about blew me off the road.  Certainly white-knuckled driving.  Either way, the MCS produced a lot of wind reports as well as a few tornadoes.  Here is the NWS Romeoville office's write up on the event.  As I like to say, it was uneventful eventfulness.  Not the best photos but I took them and figured I would share.  Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment